It's August 2015, and to follow on with the success of last year's #RPGaDay event, David Chapman at Autocratik has created a new list. Each day in August, I'll be posting my "answer" to that day's topic.
Almost caught up...
This is a tough one since really there are so many free RPGs out there. I have to admit I'm a little torn about my answer, as this RPG is technically "Pay What You Want" and I bought it through Kickstarter before the free version hit the interwebs (officially). But if I strip those issues away and go with the RPG that's brought the most fun to my game table, which also happens to be available for free, then I have to go with Fate Core. I've been playing Fate since the release of Spirit of the Century, and I have to say Fate Core is the RPG I anticipated more than any other announced product since D&D 2nd Edition.
Here are my Fate highlights:
- Running Spirit of the Century at a public event in the late '00s
- Running Dresden Files RPG in my home game, soon after its release
- Playing in a weekly Dresden Files RPG/Forbidden Kingdoms hack, run by Jason Corley
- Playing in a weekly Dresden Files RPG, using at-the-time unreleased Fate Core rules, run by Ryan Macklin
- Running my go-to-last-minute Fate Accelerated con game, Quest for the MacGuffin, multiple times
- Running a Fate Accelerated My Little Pony game for my daughter's 10th birthday